Anne Desmet: Kaleidoscope

Delightful exhibition at the Guildhall Art Gallery of new prints by Anne Desmet.

I’d come across Desmet’s delicate, detailed prints before in various exhibitions and loved them, so I was fascinated to see new pieces where she cuts up her work and makes the pieces into the sort of symmetrical patterns you see through a kaleidoscope. These works were shown with the complete prints she had used.

There was an excellent video on how she works and cases showing her tools and her wood blocks.

I was amused though by the contrast between these small delicate works and the huge John Singleton Copley painting which shared the space. I think I know which I prefer!

Closes 8 September 2024


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

The Renaissance Nude