Stuart Pearson Wright : Miscellanalects

Weird but intriguing exhibition at Flowers Gallery of new work by Stuart Pearson Wright.

Wright is most known for his portraits and is a previous winner of BP Portrait Artist of the Year, and there were some wonderful examples here, hung to look like a living room. His work has a hyperreal, eery quality,  just shifting the proportions to be slightly off. They draw you in and play with your eyes.

Shown with these were two sculptures of men. I’d seem a picture of ‘Bloke’ in an email and assumed it was a painting so was surprised when I popped to the gallery a couple of weeks ago while the show was being set up to realise it was 3D. The two works dominate the space and it feels quite odd walking nearby them.

I realised now from reading the press release that ‘Bloke’ and a couple of the paintings are interactive. I’m not sure if I didn’t notice or if they weren’t working, but I’m quite glad they didn’t as I think I’d have found that a bit freaky.

Closed 25 November 2023


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1