David Hockney: Drawing from Life

Interesting exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery of portrait drawings by David Hockney.

It was a rerun of a show which was closed by Covid which I had managed to go to so check out my original review. When I now look at how much I was out and about in London on the run up to lockdown I amazed I didn’t catch the lurgy.

This show was very similar, focusing on three friends plus his mother and self-portraits with an added section of portraits he did coming out of lockdown in his Normandy studio. There was a lovely sense the joy of being with people again but, from a couple where you know what the person looks like, I’m not sure they are particularly good portraits.

Closed 21 January 2024


Reviews

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1