Action, Gesture, Paint: Women Artists and Global Abstraction 1940–70

Colourful and interesting exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery of work by female abstract expressionists.

This was a well researched, bold show but I have to admit I didn’t warm to the art. It’s not a style I like but I did find this work less egotistical than their male counterparts. It was a truly international show with works by artists from all over the world but after a while this felt a little forced.

I did learn about some fascinating women and am surprised that they have been largely forgotten as there seemed to be two power couples, Lee Krasner and Elaine and William de Kooning at the heart of the movement as well as an influential female gallery owner Betty Parsons. 

I did find the work colourful and decorative but I just don’t respond emotionally to it.

Closed 7 May 2023


Reviews

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1