Andra Ursuta : Joy Revision

Interesting exhibition at David Zwirner of new work by Andra Ursuta.

I was interested in the technique of the works. The pictures were created using objects from her studio which she arranged and then took photographs of. This was meant to mirror the early idea of ghost photographs.

The rather complex description on the website also quotes various art historic precedents but I found the language over complex and my brain switched off. I like layers of meaning but this was too much. It had been a long day of looking at art.

There were also sculptures made of lead-crystal but  I found them hard to engage with.

I also have a gripe that the show was over three floors with a steep staircase and the lift was out of action. It had no sign on it just a notice to say you should ask to use it. When I asked I was just told no I couldn’t as it was broken, no apology for that so I’m afraid I walked out without doing the upper floors. As I said it had been a long day!

I did notice that Ursuta has work in the Venice Biennale and I am going in a couple of weeks so I’ll be interested to see what I make of their work in a different context.

Closes 29 October 2023

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1