Langlands & Bell: Ideas of Utopia

Intriguing exhibition at Charleston Farmhouse of works from throughout the career of contemporary artists Langlands and Bell which look at Utopian spaces.

Most of the works were low relief sculptures in white displayed against pale backgrounds either in a table or one the walls. They formed apparently abstracts shapes. I would have like to know a bit more about the buildings involved and the Utopian ideas they represent. I’m sure I will go again as I’m at Charleston a lot and next time I will try to go around with the Bloomberg Connects app which might give me a bit more information.

I responded more to ones where I knew the building and my favourite was one from 1993 which showed five Piece Halls or cloth markets from Yorkshire. I also liked the inclusion of the remnants of their first work “Kitchen” from 1978 which consisted of a nostalgic draw of old cutlery and kitchen implements as it reminded of my Grandmother’s kitchen.

I must admit I’d not come across Ben Langlands and Nikki Bell’s work before despite them being Turner Prize winners and will look out for it in future.

Closes 29 August 2022

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1