NG200 | Consultation

Useful display at the National Gallery presenting their plans for remodelling sections of the building to mark the 200th anniversary of the gallery in 1824. 

There were good display boards outlining the plans which included a reworking of the Sainsbury wing entrance to make it lighter and more welcoming, to provide a link at basement level between the two buildings and opening up some of the space in the Research Centre, possibly the introduction of a members’ area and rethinking the space outside the gallery linking it to Trafalgar Square. 

The display may still be there but I went there was an information desk there and I had a good conversation with a friendly lady who is working on the project and who talked me through the changes. 

I went along sceptically as I felt the Sainsbury Wing is still quite new so why does is need changing. I was shocked to realise it’s 30 years old! I’d also not realised that it had become the main entrance in 2018. I thought its use as that was a Covid thing! I came away excited about the changes particularly the linking of the two buildings at basement level and the potential for a members’ area. Just a shame there will be a couple of years of disruption just as we get the National Portrait Gallery back. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1