At Peace

Lovely exhibition at the Gillian Jason Gallery of work by five Black contemporary female artists.

These were large bold works. Upstairs were works by Alanis Forde which set female figures against exotic botanic backgrounds. I loved their vibrancy and they did remind me of her home of Barbados which I know well. Alongside these were interesting works by Miranda Forrester which were painted in monochrome oil on PVC so the image appeared to float on the picture plain.

Downstairs I loved Cece Philips cool images of women in peach pyjamas against grey backgrounds which looked impressive as a set. I also liked Emma Prempeh’s images incorporating gold leaf which I am always a sucker for in a picture.

Sahara Longe’s image “The Date” a bold image of a woman in red was impressive and I would like to have seen more by her.

Closed 30 January 2020

Review

Evening Standard


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1