Shiela Bownas: A Life in Patterns

Delightful exhibition at Pallant House Gallery of original designs by textile designer Sheila Bownas.

Bownas’s work was largely unknown until an archive of her work was auctioned in 2008. It was also interesting to read that companies often bought designs but did not use them.


 
I would love to see some of these designs reused. I liked one of her early works of people sitting on a London bus as well as one of children in red and blue playing against a bright yellow background. The 1970s designs were more abstract and bold. They made the friend I was with and I reminisce about the wallpapers of our youth!
 
My favourite design was the one shown here of white gates on a navy background.
 
Closed on 20 May 2018

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1