Known Unknowns

Strange show at the Saatchi Gallery showcasing artists born between 1969 and 1990 from the gallery’s collection.
 
OK I admit I’m not sure I understood much of this! I did buy the leaflet to try to get clues, as I know the Saatchi Gallery labels are very minimal, but I’m not sure I was much the wiser. A lot of the work just seemed to be bad painting which I’ve moaned about before. I’m really not sure I want to see a bad painting of a vomiting woman or pictures using almost “Are you Being Served?” style pussy jokes. 
 
Tom Anholt’s layers pictures looking at Christian and Islamic art history emerged from the fog and I liked their Kaffe Fasset like use of colour and shape. Kirstine Roepstorff’s collages looking at male middle-class-dom also rose to the top with their small humorous details.

The only pieces I really liked were Francesca DiMattio’s ceramics fusing different traditions from 17th century china to mass-produced kitsch. They aim to disrupt traditional depictions of domestic space and femininity and I think I’d have understood some of that without the leaflet.
 
Closes on 24 June 2018
 
Review
Evening Standard


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1