Hair by Sam McKnight

Unusual exhibition at Somerset House looking at the work of Sam McKnight a hair stylist working with photographers and creative teams for 40 years. He has worked on 190 Vogue covers.

I must admit this was a whole new world to me! I’ve had the same hairstyle for well over 10 years and like something which takes no effort in the morning. This show talked a lot about how hair can set a mood and be a mark of change in life.

It was quite image heavy but I loved the two main displays at either end showing off work he had done for the catwalk. I must admit probably more for the clothes than the hair but I did appreciate that this was all part of the look. At one end was a display of Vivienne Westwood clothes with big hair and at the other end Karl Lagerfeld for Channel with sleeker styles.

Upstairs there were wigs in display case but on the whole the story was told with photographs. It was interesting to see the work he’d done with different women with quite a large section on Princess Diana who he had travelled with on royal visits abroad. I also loved the room with all the Vogue covers he has done set against a lovely bright red.

Closes on 12 March 2017.

Review
Evening Standard

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1