Feminist avant-garde of the 1970s: works from the Verbund collection

Humourless exhibition at the Photographers Gallery looking at feminist photography from the 1970s.

This was very old school, humourless feminism which felt a bit bludgeoning after a while but you had to take a step back and think about the context and what it was trying to do.

I did like Mary Beth Adelson’s “Some Living American Women Artists” based on Leonardo’s Last Supper with Georgie O’Keefe in the place of Christ. It seems appropriate after the wonderful show of her work this year at Tate Modern. I was interested to see two artists take the approach of a series of pictures of themselves with their faces pressed up against glass. I also liked Helena Almeida’s picture of women’s hands through bars in the windows and fences.

I would have liked to see a bit more commentary on the works but I guess I needed to buy the small book which went with the show which I wasn’t including to do!

Closes on 29 January 2017

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1