Philippe Parreno: Anywhen

Disappointing installation at Tate Modern in the Turbine Hall by Philippe Parreno.

I’ve given this installation two chances so far but I’m not getting it! OK the first time it turned out it was broken but I’m not sure much more was happening the next time I went. There are large white screens which move occasionally and a very naturalistic soundtrack. People were lying on the carpeted floor with slightly mystical expressions and a look of concentration.

All the publicity shots had had wonderful floating fish balloons but on both occasions I was there there was just one floating aimlessly. I did later spot a lot of ‘dead’ ones up in the roof beams!

I’m afraid it reminded me of the song about the emperor’s new clothes! There had been lots of hype and talk about it but it seemed like a lot of hot air. I just didn’t understand it! When I was there the soundtrack was street noise and I wanted to shout “Go outside and here it there, plus you can have a coffee”! I will go back and try again but it only gets one more chance!

Closes on 2 April 2017.

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph
Evening Standard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1