Mythic Method: Classicism in British Art 1920-50

Fascinating exhibition at Pallant House looking at how modernist artists used the idea of the antique in their work.

I am currently doing a course at the V&A on classicism and I like modernist art so inevitably I loved this show! It pointed out how classicism had a revival after the horrors of the First World War being seen as a return to order and reviving ideas of idealism. The show had a good mix of mediums with great pictures but also good use of posters, books and photographs.

There were some wonderful pictures which I’d not seen before including one of the Toilet of Venus by Duncan Grant and Vanessa Bell done as part of a decorative scheme for Dorothy Wellesley’s dining room. It was three statuesque full female figures in great shades of yellow and orange. There were also some old friends such as Meredith Frampton’s portrait of Marguerite Kelsey from the Tate.

I loved a room dedicated to the 1935 Olympian Party held at Claridges with costumes designed by Oliver Messel. It was represented by a great set of portrait photographs by Madame Yevonde of some of the female guests. I loved Diana Mitford as Venus!

One artist I’d not come across before, John Armstrong, made quite an impression on me. From an interesting series of mythical pictures for an exhibition in the 1920s including Psyche in the Styx, a long picture with pink skeletal bodies in the boat, through to his costume designs for a 1930s film of I Claudius, a real discovery who I’ll look out for in the future.

Closes on 19 February 2017.

Review
Guardian

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1