Georgia O’Keefe

Fabulous exhibition at Tate Modern on the life and work of Georgia O’Keefe.

This was unexpectedly brilliant exhibition. I had expected room after room of big flowers bit it was much more varied and I feel in love with O’Keefe’s landscapes.

From the first room I was hooked as it was decorated to recreate her first show in 1917 with grey walls, a shelf and a red curtain round the bottom of the walls. I hadn’t realised that she had started out as an abstract artist. The audio guise was very good at describing the pictures and leading you through her ideas.

The biggest surprise were her amazing pictures of New York. My favourite picture in the show was one of the East River showing the river in a wonderful shade of blue and the buildings on the river banks in shades of grey. Many of her views were either looking upwards from the street or down from her hotel room. It was a nice touch that the pictures were shown alongside black and white photographs by her husband, Alfred Stieglitz.

I also like the fact that the exhibition reflected the effect of place on O’Keefe with sections on her time at Lake George, New Mexico and the Ghost Ranch. I loved the landscapes of New Mexico. They had a very sensual feeling, one called “My Front Yard” reminded me of a Cezanne of Mont Sainte-Victoire.

There was too much of interest to mention in a short blog post so I’ll just briefly also list the wonderful skull pictures and the amazing later pictures of the views from aeroplanes! All in all a fabulous show!

Closes on 30 October 2016.

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph
Independent

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1