Bjork Digital

Disappointing exhibition at Somerset House of digital content and videos from Bjorks new album.

I liked the first room which was a split screen music video with a great sound system which meant you could hear difference elements of the music at different points in the room.

However I’d not realised that the most of the show was virtual reality presentations and I quickly realised that I didn’t like them! You were sat on stools so that you could spin round and appreciate the work properly but I felt too high up and I didn’t like the feel of the headset on my face. I was also unsure whether to wear my glasses or not, everything felt out of focus. All in all quite a claustrophobic experience!  Also once I’d decided I didn’t like it there was no way out so I had to stand in a room watching people slowing spinning on stools in the dark.

By the time I’d suffered the virtual reality I’d rather lost my patience and not being a big Bjork fan the show had lost any engagement I might have had. There was a room of ordinary videos on a big screen at the end and some sort of app which I couldn’t be bothered to work out!

I have realised thought that more and more exhibitions are using virtual reality so I have bought a cheap cardboard headset to practice with at home! I don’t want to feel left out but I think I need to try it out in a less pressured environment.

Closes on 23 October 2016.

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1