Punk 1976-1978

Stylish exhibition at the British Library looking at the height of the punk music era.

There were fantastic black display case and great objects. I must admit I wasn’t quite sure which way round I was supposed to go but I guess it could be done in any order. I was fascinated to see where the different archive material had come from especially as so much seemed to have come from Liverpool.

The show emphasised the do-it-yourself feel of punk with sections on fanzines and independent record labels, many of which still exist. It also talked about punk relationship to politics and how aspects were a reaction to white nationalist politics. It looked at the Rock against Racism concerts which I had forgotten. There was a good section on American punk looked at Patti Smith, Blondie and the Ramones.

There were some great objects too. I loved Rat Scabies leather jacket and the letter from him which described it as protective layer. There was a demo version of God Save the Queen, an A&M version of the single, cut before the company sacked the Sex Pistols.

Closes on 2 October 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1