Medals of the Sun King

Confusing exhibition at the British Museum looking at the medals of Louise XIV, described as the greatest medallic project ever.

I say confusing as it took me quite a while to work out what the project was. I do wonder if I went round backwards but there was no signage to say where to start! By the end I worked out that there was a deliberate move to commemorate all events in the kings reign with a medal with a committee called the Little Academy set up to oversee this. In 1702 all the medals were published in a book.

I sometimes found it had to tell what had been in this canon as there also seemed to be displays on anti-monarch medals which I assume weren’t official.

The show just needed a bit more narrative as I must admit I came out of the small room wondering why this was important and with no sense of the design or purpose of the objects.

Closed  15 November2015.

Review
Telegraph

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1