A Rich Tradition: Two Centuries of Netherlandish Prints in Private Collections

Interesting exhibition at the Rembrandt House Museum in Amsterdam looking at Netherlandish prints from over two centuries pulled from three private collections.

There were some lovely works in this show but I am not sure I got much sense of progression of style or technique.  I loved Dirck Vellert’s “Vision of St Bernard of Clairvaux” with great classical architecture in the background. Also De Passe’s pictures of the five senses.

I was interested in prints which had been made to popularise other art works such as a wonderful picture of a fleet of galleys after a picture by Bruegel the Elder.

I was taken by four mannerist roundels by Goltzius who I’ve just realised was the artist who I fell for in the British Museum silverpoint exhibition who did the picture of his pet dog! I just love the connections you make in this art stuff!

Closes on 24 January 2016.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1