Minding too Much

Charming retrospective at the Mall Galleries of work by Charlotte Johnson Wahl, the mother of Bris Johnson.

I admit I went out of curiosity but I really liked the work. It had rather a 1970s feel in bold colours. On the whole it felt quite domestic and about home and friends but there was also a period where she’s done portraits on commission.

Early on I was struck by a wonderful picture of Tower Bridge from City Hall which had been commissioned for the building. I had a strange but interesting sense of perspective. She had also done other great cityscapes including one looking down from a high rise in New York with a helicopter passing between buildings.

She had done super group portraits often of dinner parties and families. There was a great one of the SDP Gang of Four.  As I went round I realised Boris’s sister was there with a chap who she lead over to that picture and took a photo of him with it. When I looked properly I twigged it was David Owen, who was of course in the picture. This is why I love my wanderings in London!

Reviews
Telegraph
Evening Standard

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1