RA Schools Show 2015

Too cool for school exhibition at the Royal Academy showing works by final year students at the Royal Academy Schools.

The best bit about this show was that it was held in the schools themselves so you had a sense of the work being shown in the studios the students had been using so in a few cases there was a nice sense of someone knowing and enjoying the space such as Max Prus’s “Stained” where he’s painted the studio ceiling lights like a stained glass window and had automated blinds revealing and hiding them.

However some of the work looked a bit like the rubbish which had been left after the students had moved out! It might have benefited from the hand out not just naming the artists and works be also saying something about the premise of the work. As you know I go to a lot of shows and am fairly savvy but I needed a bit of help! Notes I made as I went round included things like “am I missing something?”.

I did however like the work of Max Ager which included a low coffee table mounted on artichokes and a side table supported by vases of stone. I’m not sure what this was saying artistically but they were attractive works you’d want in your home. It will be interesting to see which artists start appearing in other shows now they have graduated and whether I can recognise them again!

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1