Pangaea II: New Art from Africa and Latin America

Interesting exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery looking at work by South American and African contemporary artists.

I went the Pangea I last year and it was interesting to see new work by artists in that show. However it is a few weeks since I went and I didn’t take notes so it’s interesting to see from checking through the website what has stuck in my mind and what’s moved on!

I thought the room putting Jorge Mayet’s small tree sculptures showing both the branches and the roots with Diego Mendoza Imbachi’s huge paintings looking up in to the branches of tress was a clever hang. Both focused on the structure of trees but one in a very small format and one in a large one. I loved Eddy Ilunga Kamuanga’s large colourful pictures of women which brought a real zest and life to the show.

However my favourite piece was a room full of blue carried bags in a neat rectangular shape by Jean-Francois Bocie called “Everything must go”. According to the girl on the desk the artists has to come in each week to fluff the bags up again as they sink. She didn’t think there was a structure under it but my friend and I thought we spotted on! We weren’t quite brave enough to stick our arms in to check! I think it was about waste and the ocean and climate change but whatever it was a rather beautiful thing.

Review
Independent

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1