Daumier: Visions of Paris

Fascinating exhibition at the Royal Academy looking at the work of the 19th century French artist Honoré Daumier.

Earlier in the year I did a course on 19th century art which kept referring to Daumier as he was not only an artist who bridged the gap between classism and Impressionism, but was also a political activist and commentator on society at the time through his cartoons for the newspapers.

I loved the lithographs/cartoons and even found myself laughing out loud at some of them. Even though he political figures might be different somehow the sentiments could be applied to any time. I particularly like one of two artists painting outdoors. One paints the landscape the other paints the first one! I also liked the small caricature busts he made of political figure to help with his cartoons.

I wasn’t so struck by the paintings which felt a bit course but I did love two possibly unfinished works of men hanging on ropes. They had a very Impressionistic feel to them and it was lovely to see them hung either side of a door.

Reviews
Times
Telegraph
Evening Standard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1