Mughal India: Art, Culture and Empire

Sumptuous exhibition at the British Library looking at the history and culture of the Mughal emperors which ruled from the 16th to the 19th century in India and South Asia.

There were some exquisite objects and books on display and the whole thing was very rich on the eye. I knew nothing about this period so needed explanations but was almost overwhelmed by the amount of information given. I think if I had read everything careful I would have been there for hours!

But there again I wanted more information in places as I would have been interested to know if there was any link with western art as some of the illuminated manuscripts used similar ideas of the western ones. Then I must remember it was more of a history exhibition than an art one.

Stand out items included a beautiful small study of the head of Akbar. I loved the idea of an instructional poem for pigeon fanciers with sweet illustrations. I also liked a route map on a scroll which shows a journey including places to stay on the way.

I found it fascinating when East met West and the mughal artists represent visiting westerners such as in the Durbar of Akmar II which includes a wonderful soldier in scarlet uniform.

Reviews
Telegraph
Independent

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1