Watercolour and works on paper fair 2013

Annual fair selling prints and watercolours held this year at the Science Museum.

This is always a lovely exhibition to walk around with a glass of wine in hand and see what is on the market and just generally add to your knowledge.

The special display this year “The Conquest of the Skies” was from the Science Museum’s collection and featured works on ballooning. There was a lovely selection ranging from 19th century cartoon to World War I and II images.

Many stalls also had featured displays and my favourites were Abbott and Holder’s watercolours by Albert Heim, a World War I German war artist and Scheidman’s selection of linocuts by Kyffin Williams.

The talk of the show were the super realistic drawings by Kelvin Okafor which were getting quite a lot of press coverage. They were technically brilliant having the finish of a photograph but being drawings but I found them slightly clinical because of that.

I did weaken and buy! I fell for a self portrait by Dorothy Hepworth and a portrait by her of her partner Patricia Preece. Anyone who knows their Stanley Spencer history will know their names! I couldn’t separate them so I had to buy both!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1