Ben Nicholson

Exhibition of the works of Ben Nicholson at the Dean’s Gallery in Edinburgh put on as a result of a donation by his third wife Felicitas Vogler to the gallery.

I loved the room about his family as this put his work in a context. I hadn’t realised before that his mother Mabel Pryde was an artist as well as his father and the works by her were very feminine and family orientated and reminded me slightly of Hilda Carline.

I have never really come to grips with Ben Nicholson and this was another good opportunity to try but I still didn’t quite get there. I admire their pale tranquillity but must admit to liking colour and vibrancy more in my art. I did like the etchings of Tuscany, particularly the way none of the side of the plate were straight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1