Zurbarán

Stunning exhibition at the National Gallery focusing on the 17th century Spanish artist Zurbaran.

I love Zurbaran and had been looking forward to this show and it didn’t disappoint. The monumental  work looked amazing in the space and was given room to breathe. It was shown in a simple way which evoked the religious settings in which it would have originated.

I loved the stark Crucifixion scenes set against black and the single figure saints reminiscent of Spanish polychrome wood sculptures. It was moving to see three panels of a massive altarpiece reunited.

There was a beautiful room of still-lives by Zubaran alongside those of his son. It was a visceral moment when you realised his son had died in a plague aged just 29.

The most surprising piece in the show was a huge painting of a head. Measuring about 6ft sq from a distance it was striking but I assumed it was an enlargement of a face from a painting but no it is, as described in the show, a colossal head, recently ascribed to the artist.

Can’t wait to listen to a talk on the show I have recorded and to find out more but for once I am glad to have discovered the art before hearing about it.

Closes 23 August 2026


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Observer

Telegraph

Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titian's The Aldobrandini Madonna : a longer look

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Tai Shan Schierenberg: Men Without Women