RHS Botanical Art and Photography Show 2023

Delicate exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery for this year’s Royal Horticultural Society prizes for botanical art and photography.

The show followed a strict judging policy and prize structure very similar to the Chelsea Flower Show. In each category people were invited to submit six pieces which were judged as a set.

The artwork was mainly highly detailed watercolours of a stunning quality. I preferred the ones which seemed to fill the plain with an image rather than the barer ones arranged in a pattern.

The works were from around the world. I think my favourites were pictures of Scottish lichen by Liz Campbell.

I was less impressed by the photographs. The ones that focused on detail were actually very like the watercolours and I’m not sure I’d have been able to tell them apart.

My favourites were flower arrangements like Dutch still lives by T.M.Glass which paired flowers from renowned gardens in vases from museum collections. 

Closed 9 July 2023


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1