Our Connection to Water

Thoughtful exhibition at the National Maritime Museum of work by seven contemporary artists looking at the importance of water in our lives.

Curated by The Collective Makers the show sets out the work clearly with good commentaries. I had problems finding the exhibition, as it wasn't in the usual exhibition space, so shout out to the helpful chap on the information desk who walked me round and told me a bit more about the show as we went.

It was a particularly good tip to watch the first video which he said a lot of people missed. It was by Seba Calfuqueo from Chile and showed them slowly pulling a long train blue of satin up and down stairs towards a waterfall. The train looked like water itself. If you follow me you'll know I'm not always a fan of video art bit this was contemplative and not too long at about 6 minutes.

Other artists I liked from the show included three sisters called The Jiun Collective, three sisters who interviewed their two grandmothers about migration and the photographer, Giya Makondo-Wills's pictures representing keeping traditional beliefs in South Africa alive.

My favourite shown here was Dafe Oboro's photographs looking at the daily ritual of bathing with a  worker in Lagos taking their baths behind parked buses. I loved the way the soap subs abstracted the bodies.

Closes at the end of the year.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1