Material Lives

Fascinating discussion at Charleston Farmhouse as part of the Charleston Festival on the social and historical role of fashion.

Ably chaired by journalist and broadcaster Bidisha Mamata, designer/artist, Osman Yousefzada and x editor of Vogue, Alexandra Shulman, discussed their relationship with clothes.

This then branched out into current sociological and economic impact of the fashion industry from the fact we have invented fabrics that can take 500 years to decay to the role of second-hand clothes.

Charleston Festival had over 40 talks over nearly two weeks and I booked to go to them all! If I blog all of them I’ll be here for ever so, as last year, I’ll cover events on art, fashion and design in the blog. That’s not to say ask the others weren’t fabulous too. It was also sometime hard to find an appropriate picture so I’ve used photographs I took of the garden instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1