Joe Tilson : Breaking the Rules

Fascinating exhibition at Cristea Roberts of prints by Joe Tilson.

The show included pieces from the 1960s to date. I know Tilson’s recent Stones of Venice pictures, combining images of the sites of the city surrounded by patterns from the buildings, but I hadn’t realised he was part of the British Pop Art movement.

I loved the early prints with collage added which had been deemed at the time to be “not original prints” since then Tilson has sought to break other rules of print making.

I liked the works based on Greek myth as I have just finished a book on them but my favourite section was the Venice prints downstairs.

Closed 17 June 2023


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1