The Ugly Duchess: Beauty and Satire in the Renaissance

Lovely exhibition at the National Gallery focusing on Quinten Massys “Ugly Duchess” from about 1513.

This well-known picture from the gallery’s collection was reunited with its pendant “Old Man” on loan from a private collection and set in the context of the time.

I was pleased I had done an introductory talk on the show to get more depth, which I’ve already blogged, and I’ve also signed up to a longer course on it so I’ll save some of the nuisances for that.

The show also included copies of a Leonardo drawing that the picture is based on and other examples of the satirical old man/young woman and visa-versa double portraits as well as a more formal, sympathetic one of an older couple.

The idea of satirising older women in this period was explored with examples in print, majolica, painting and sculpture. I would have liked a bit more on the idea of a similar figure in festival entertainments which I had found fascinating in the talk.

Closes 11 June 2023

Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1