King Louis XIV as Art Collector

Useful, clear online lecture from the Churches Conservation Trust looking at the art collecting of Louis XIV.

I don’t know much about this period beyond what I learnt watching the TV drama “Versailles” which I loved. It was all about the hair! Barbara Lasic, from the Sotheby’s Institute, took us thought the expansion of the palace concentrating on the decoration of each new set of rooms by Charles le Brun.

She then outlined how the Royal Collection had developed to this point starting with pieces acquired by Francis I and took us through various collections which were left to Louis and which he acquired. I was fascinated by a section on craftsmen and designers who were encouraged by Louis.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1