The World of Stonehenge

Awesome exhibition at the British Museum looking at Stonehenge and putting it into context.

I went along to this suspecting it would be a bit dull and worthy but it was very engaging and I learned so much. In fact I’ve been back again for a second visit and I may well go again!

The show has six stages to lead you roughly through the chronology of over 2000 years of pre-history, from working with nature and the pre-agricultural people though to quite sophisticated trading by sea. Each section was anchored by a piece from Stonehenge itself. It was full of complex stories and ideas from an era I had expected to find quite simplistic.

The exhibits are stunning and at times you almost can’t believe what you are looking at. There was some amazing gold work including a wonderful shoulder cape found in Wales. Most moving were people’s burial goods and I was fascinated by an archer who had travelled from Switzerland only to be buried at Stonehenge. I was amazed at a wooden walkway which had been preserved in a bog.

The picture I have chosen to use is a mysterious chalk drum shaped object with three holes in it which was buried with a child. Alongside were three more, buried with three children, two of whom were holding hands. I must admit to shedding tear in the gallery as I looked at it. Not what I had expected in a pre-history exhibition.

Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard

Closes 17 July 2022

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1