Suffolk Gravestones

Strange but interesting online lecture from the Churches Conservation Trust discussing the evolution of gravestones in Suffolk.

Robert Halliday, the custodian of a Churches Conservation Trust church and author of books on Suffolk gravestones, took us through the chronology of the development of gravestones and tombs as well as the different types and the symbolism used.

There were lots of things I’d never thought about such as you only get outside tombs once the churches have started to fill up with the population explosions of the 17th century. Some of the symbolism was fascinating and Halliday had some great illustrations and examples.

I think my favourite stones were those that reflected the persons profession such as the lovely waggon on horse on the grave of John Catchpole in Palgrave and the various graves of seafarers with ships on.

I do like poking round old graveyards however I don’t know Suffolk at all so possibly this was an off choice, but you know me, I’ll listen to anything and you always learn something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1