Lubaina Himid

Interesting exhibition at Tate Modern of work by Lubaina Himid, winner of the Turner Prize in 2017.

The show was shaped around a series of questions about how the built environment, history, personal relationships and conflict shape our lives and is envisaged as a series of scenes in a theatrical performance.

I like was interested in the concepts that were presented but didn’t always engage with the art. strangely for me, I preferred the conceptual work to the paintings. Of the paintings I loved an abstract picture of the sea and some portraits of men mounted in upturned drawers.

I liked “The Jelly Mould Project” in which she had decorated Victorian jelly moulds to point at the role of sugar in the transatlantic trade and the growth of British cities. They were originally shown in shops across Liverpool and I would love to have seen them in that setting. I also liked the cut outs, shown here, which are a revised version of Hogarth’s “Marriage-a-la-Mode” put into the context of the art world.

Closes 3 July 2022

Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1