Meet the Expert: Frans Hals and the Male Portrait

Fascinating online lecture from the Wallace Collection on the gallery’s current Frans Hals exhibition.

I’d been to the exhibition so it was brilliant to be talked through it by the curator Lelia Packer. She outlined the ideas behind the show then talked us through the 13 pictures in it explained why they were chosen and what stories they tell us about Hals work and Haarlem at the time.

I loved the idea that she had arranged the pictures as if they were at a dinner party with the Laughing Cavalier at the head of the table. I loved the affection with which she talked about the pictures as if they were friends she had got to know as she organised the show.

It really made me want to go back and see the show again now I know more. In particular I didn’t do the audio tour, as I often find them distracting, but I learnt that Greyson Perry comments on the works and I’d love to hear his views on them as well as those of experts on the period.

The talk is available to watch on YouTube. Go on watch and make some new friends!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1