Grayson Perry: A Show For Normal People

Fun and thought provoking evening at the Royal Festival Hall seeing Grayson Perry’s latest one man show.

It’s quite hard to describe the show as it’s party stand up comedy, part social commentary and, this time, with singing thrown in. I love the way he uses audience participation in a series of survey questions to establish what ‘normal’ is for that audience and shares comparisons from previous shows from around the country. I would say though that in the section I was sitting in the wifi didn’t work well enough for us to take part. It wasn’t just me being dense I heard muttering from around me too!

I saw Perry’s previous show at the London Palladium and I think this one wasn’t as tight. That one, which was quite soon after Brexit, had a better arch to it and lead you down a garden path then twisted what you might have been thinking. I suspect this was a collection of lockdown musings which did make you think about how we end up as ‘normal’ however hard we may try to be different but it had less of a twist and was a bit over long.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1