Michael Armitage: Paradise Edict

Colourful exhibition at the Royal Academy of work by Michael Armitage.

I had seen some of Armitage’s work in the Venice Biennale and liked it so was interested to see more. They were large bold pieces painted on Lubugo bark cloth, a rough prestigious cloth used for ceremonial purposes. I loved the way Armitage incorporates the seams and holes in the fabric into the pictures giving a great texture.

I think my favourite was the majestic “Pathos and the Twilight of the Idle” showing a bikini-clad male protestor during the 2017 Kenyan elections. He rises about the crowd with echoes of Titian’s “The Assumption of the Virgin” which makes this a very grand image with religious overtones.

There was also another side gallery with works by other East African artists which put Armitage’s work in context.

However I have to say that I think £13 was very expensive for this show. There were about 15 works by Armitage then the related work. It felt very sparse. A similar show at a private gallery would have been free. I know the Royal Academy needs to recoup money but I did feel this was a bit steep.

Closes on 19 September 2021

Reviews

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1