Jan Svoboda: Against the Light

Interesting exhibition at the Photographers’ Gallery looking at the work of Czech photographer Jan Svoboda.

These were concentrated art photographs working through repetition and focus on a particular subject. I loved them shown together but I am not sure one on its own would speak to me. They reminded me a bit of the still life paintings of Giorgio Morandi.

I loved the repeated pictures of his studio table, with or without a cloth or objects. He then moved this onto using half the table or a quarter of it. It is like the focus on the table is becoming ever tighter. I also liked the way he used his own photographs within new ones, either photographing the back, the floor strewn with abandoned works or the walls of his studio with one of his pictures hung on it.

Closes 20 September 2020

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1