Andy Warhol

Interesting exhibition at Tate Modern looking at the life and work of Andy Warhol. 

I am not a great Warhol fan but this show did leave me with a greater understanding and appreciation of his work. I hadn’t realised that a lot of the work does involve painting on screen prints so it was more textured than I expected and seeing the repeat screen prints made me realise how each image is subtly different due to variations in the print quality.

I loved his drawings which had a simple Matisse like feel to them, expressing a person in a few lines. It was a fun idea to recreate the foil walls of the Factory which gave you a real sense of the light effects of the silver walls on the floor and how his big, bold art works would have been reflected in the walls.

I came away feeling that his work had become a cliché but, seeing it in person and put in context, realised how ground breaking he was.

Closes 15 November 2020

Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1