AI: More Than Human


Interesting exhibition at the Barbican looking at creative and scientific developments in AI using work by artists, scientists and researchers.

I must admit I only did the free installations around the building. I didn’t have time to do the paid for exhibition section but I thought it was a nice touch to have a lot of free work particularly as it’s the school holidays and it is something that children can interact with.

I began with the work shown, one of two by Universal Everything, where you stand in front of the screen and the avatar copies and learns from you movements. I must admit I felt a bit silly as a middle aged women standing waving my arms and legs around but it didn’t stop me. The results thought were a bit underwhelming.

Good use was made of the long drop space in the middle of the building with a work called Totem by Chris Slater which used equations that model the behaviour of biological neurons and is therefore supposed to mirror emotions. I must admit I don’t understand however it did look more cheerful the second time I saw it!

I did however love the robot cocktail bar and spent ages watching it, although as it was mid-afternoon I didn’t partake. I loved the delicate action of the robot shaking the drink and the other one which gently placed the glass down on the counter.

Closes 26 August 2019

Reviews


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1