By Popular Demand

Good exhibition at the Mall Galleries of work by past winners of The Columbia Threadneedle Prize’s Visitors Choice Award.

I was interested to note that I had seen the work of a couple of these artists in private galleries around London in the last year or so and the commentaries outlined what artists had gone on to do and how they had used their prize money. Boyd & Evans who do large scale landscape photos graphs of the USA which I had seen at Flowers Gallery had used the money to fund the trip to the US where they took the pictures I had seen in the gallery. The photos compare to the mammoth American Sublime landscapes of the 19th century.

I liked Lewis Hazelwood-Horner’s painting of craftsmen in their workplaces and Robert Truscott’s bronzes of a First World War horse and a Prison of War.

My favourite though were three huge hyper real canvases by Ben Johnson of classical interiors. Each was about 6ft by 4ft and they had a huge impact. I so wanted one. Anyone got a spare £156,000 and a big wall?

Closes on 20 January 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1