Painting the Modern Garden: Monet to Matisse

Vibrant exhibition at the Royal Academy looking at the relationship between modern art and gardens.

I liked the variety of themes and ways of presenting the work in this exhibition however after a while it all became a bit too much! It was just too big a show on one topic. The central room which looked at international gardens  became too chocolate boxlike and I felt like I was drowning in orange chocolate truffles! The stories of each of the gardens was fascinating but even for me there were too many images

There was a great sense of visual relief when you hit the wittily titled Avant-Garden room and found works by Van Gogh, Kandinsky and got a different view of the world.

However the star of the show was the Monet lilies triptych brought back together from three galleries and shown in the lovely round room, a perfect end to the show. I loved the fact there was no sense of the bank of the pool and they become pictures of infinity.

Closes on 20 April 2016.

Reviews
Guardian
Telegraph
Evening Standard

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for a marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will often come back later in life. I want to encourage one to continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!
http://educlue.eu

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1