Eloise Hawser: Lives on Wire

Site-specific installation at the ICA by Eloise Hawser based on the life span of a cinema organ.

I’ll be honest. I’m not sure I understood this, but there were some interesting element which I found rather calming. The centre piece a very slow moving mechanism called the Burbey Wurlitzer which had various cogs and chains moving so slowly it took a while to realise they were. This was somehow linked to the fact that the ceiling was changing colour creating different atmospheres in the lower gallery.

The best things though was that I learned a new word “skeuomorphism” the process of making new stuff out of old stuff or as the leaflet describes it “the potential for obsolete objects to be appropriated and transformed for contemporary use”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1