Material Anxiety

Disappointing small exhibition at the Hayward Gallery of recent work by Rachel Levine.

I say disappointing as it had a good write up on the South Bank Centre website and sounded really interesting. I knew if wasn’t there main show but thought it might be in the project space upstairs however it turned out to be the show in the cafĂ© and there were only two items! It even took the nice info desk people a couple of minutes to work out what I was talking about when I showed them the website as I couldn’t find it!

However the two items which were there were interesting and I’ll look out for more from this artist. She makes sculptures of everyday articles out of materials which are the opposite of that which they are mode in. So there was what looked like a sheet of insulation foam draped over a rail but it was made in concrete and a towel made of a water repellent material on the wall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1