Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Award

Annual exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery for this award for portrait photography.

This year I preferred the commissioned work such at Hilary Mantel by Michael Birt and Michael Stipe by Matthew Lloyd. There were also a nice selection of Olympian’s, obviously the subject of many features this year needing photographs.

However my favourite picture had to be “Dahlia” by Mark McAvoy. It’s a picture of his 7 week old daughter taken for her passport photo and a wonderfully funny picture of a rather serious baby. I had to buy the book to have a copy of this picture but I’m not sure why I find it so funny. I guess it’s because you don’t often see an upright baby and therefore look at it face to face as you would an adult.

Review
Evening Standard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1