Neo-Medieval revolutions: the Pre-Raphaelites and the Gothic revival in Victorian Britain

A lecture at the Courtauld given by Ayla Lepine to compliment the current Pre-Raphaelite exhibition at Tate Britain.

I am going to honest and say I did get a bit lost! It is only now reading the introduction to it again that I realise it was about linking the Pre-Raphaelites and the Gothic revival and seeing how they influenced each other, I know it should have been obvious from the title! However this did not really come across clearly in the lecture.

The speaker launched straight in and the introduction on the night was more about the current exhibition buy how she was going to take an imaginative view of it an include some works which were not in it. She had a tendency to rush through a series of names and links between them in an amazed fashion. I did start to think that surely as all the names lived about the same time and were operating in artistic circles in London then of course there were connections as there would be now.

I think I will chalk this one up to my being tired and maybe missing something but I was a bit disappointed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1