War at sea


Fascinating exhibition of the war paintings of Sir John Lavery at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery.

I hadn’t realised that Lavery had been a war artists in World War I and yet this is a set of artists which have always fascinated me. A lot of the pictures were of war ships off the coast of Scotland, hence the title, and they were wonderfully pale seascapes.

I loved a picture of Lady Henry's Creche at Woolwich for munitions workers as I have recently moved to the Woolwich Arsenal site and imagined it might have been in my buildings, I don’t think it was!

The most poignant picture was of women's army auxiliary corps tending to newly laid out graves. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1