Photograph of the month : Captain Edward Smith

Very small display at the National Portrait Gallery in their Photograph of the Month series picking for April Captain Edward Smith of the Titanic.

Even I don’t always mention a display this small but I have to for personal reasons. Throughout the Titanic celebrations I have been waiting to see a photo of Captain Rostron of the Carpathia, the ship which came to the Titanic’s rescue. A friend of my father’s was the grandson of Captain Rostron so I  always think of him when Titanic is mentioned. There next to the photo of Captain Smith, in an example of the how the photo was used in the press, was a picture of Captain Rostron so I now feel he has been marked in some way. OK I could have found a picture on the web but it wouldn’t as been an moving as coming across it in a gallery! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1